[vox-tech] Optimum memory for a Linux workstation?

Matt Roper vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 08:55:46 -0700

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 08:52:35AM -0700, Tim Riley wrote:

> Jim Lowman wrote:
>
> > In reading the latest Linux Journal, I noticed an ad from EmperorLinux.com,
> > where they offer an enhanced version of the Dell Inspiron 8500 notebook
> > that I have,
> > but built for Linux.
> >
> > The "Rhino," as they call it, has 2GB of memory.  Isn't that a bit of
> > overkill for
> > a workstation?
> >
> > I have a dual boot between Windows XP Pro and RH9 Linux running on my
> > machine, and it seems to do well.
> >
> > Are there any statistics available that show where the performance curve
> > flattens out as memory is added above, say, 256 MB?
>
> You can do your own test using "top." This'll let you see how your
> current usage strains the available memory. When memory runs out,
> pages start to "swap" to disk, slowing things down.

You probably don't want to use top for this -- the memory usage that top
displays includes memory that is being used as a disk cache so it will
always look like you're using almost all of your memory.  Use "free"
instead and then check the line labelled "-/+ buffers/cache" for a more
realistic view of how much memory will be available to applications if
they need it.

Matt