[vox-tech] Optimum memory for a Linux workstation?

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 20:13:47 -0700 (PDT)

It really depends on how you use that memory. Install vmware for Linux and
allocate 1GB of RAM for each instance and you can quickly run out of RAM.

Also, Linux can do more with caching files in memory. This can speedup
things like when you quit an application and then restart it later.

I use my workstation like a portable mini-server.

Also, if you are a programer for big projects, the pre-caching of files
certainly makes project builds go much faster.

Multiple greps of files can take less time once the file is cached. This
can make processing of files with repetetive searches much faster.

There are many reasons for lots of memory, and the efectiveness of having
more memory (graphs etc) really depends on the applications that are being
used and how they are being used.

-ME