[vox-tech] python: slicing extensions from file names

Rod Roark vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:51:15 -0700

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 05:08 pm, Dave Peticolas wrote:
> I don't think Perl is all *that* much better than Python
> for text-processing. Python's re module is usually on a
> par with Perl's. And the cleaner code of Python is a
> major bonus.

I don't know Python, but just wanted to mention that I've
been coding a backgammon server using Perl and am generally
pleased with the capabilites and maturity of the language.
For this I'm using modules to maintain some organization,
and could have also used OO methods but chose not to.

Surely, though, cleanness of code is mostly up to the
programmer?  Perl lets you make it as messy or as pretty as
you like, and I like having the freedom to use whitespace
however I see fit.

For those interested in an entertaining justification of
Perl as a language: http://www.wall.org/~larry/pm.html.

Cheers,
remote system administration services.