[vox-tech] python: slicing extensions from file names

Troy Arnold vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:31:57 -0700

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 02:05:12PM -0700, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 01:24:38PM -0700, David Hummel wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 12:37:27PM -0700, Norm Matloff wrote:
> > >
> > > By the way, I can't resist urging all you Perl users out there to
> > > switch to Python. :-)
> >
> > The advantages of Python are clear, but I'd say switching isn't
> > necessary.  Better to learn both and use the language that best fits the
> > task.
>
> Very heartily agreed. Both Perl and Python have very strong traits,
> and the overlap (IMHO, anyway) between those traits is fairly small.

I agree strongly with that as well (choose the tool according to the
job).  In principle only in this case because I don't know any Python.

Out of curiosity, what tasks would you choose to code in Python vs. Perl?

-troy