[vox-tech] console question

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:09:40 -0700 (PDT)

I always thought /dev/console refers to the current active console so you
have some device you can communicate with if you need to communicate with
the current console via some device without knowing its tty.  Some quick
testing (echo 'Hello' > /dev/console) shows this is true on Linux console
but not under xterm.  I've done this under PERL to write a menu-driven
program that runs in place of mgetty.

Anyone have a better explanation for /dev/console?

-Mark