[vox-tech] Tip-of-the-day: eject your CF card!

Bill Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 00:40:33 -0700

I stuck my shiny new 256MB CF card which I got for my digital camera
into my SanDisk USB-based CF card reader, and while moving photos off of it,
started getting "Input/output error"s, and noticing
"attempt to access beyond end of device" errors in /var/log/messages

Everything seemed fine.  Mounted as vfat.  Images loaded fine in the camera.

Ah-hah!  Some googling found:

  http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=9114131&list=4563

With the simple answer:

  If you switch between cards you need to do "eject sdX" so that it knows
  you are looking at a different card.

I guess my system was 'used to' my 64MB card (that I use in my Zaurus
to transfer files occasionally), and was unable to read beyond the 64MB spot
on my 256MB card.

Good trick to know...