[vox-tech] Asking C compiler to test for #include file

Bill Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 08:23:35 -0700

Right now I have a program that will die if certain headers can't be found.

The issue of getting these headers has practically become an FAQ for the libraries installed.
("You forgot to download the *-dev packages of the library, which contains the headers!")

I'd like, if possible, GCC to barf with my OWN error, stating something along these lines,
rather than just:

  src/myprog.c:15: foo.h: No such file or directory

I realize I can spit out an error message using the C "#error" directive, but is there a simple
(and portable) way of TESTING?

e.g.:

  #SOME_IF-LIKE_DIRECTIVE_I_DON'T_KNOW_ABOUT

    #include "somelib.h"

  #else

    #error "Ya big dummy!  You need to install the 'somelib-dev' package!"

  #endif

Is there such a thing?  I'm actually realtively unfamiliar with all of the C directives out there.
I've stuck to the typical "#define", "#ifdef", "#include" trio. ;^)

Thx in advance,

-bill!

PS - I'm not currently using autoconf/automake in this project.  I'm not sure if I ever will decide to...