[vox-tech] Linux on a low end hardware question

Bill Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 03:18:30 -0700

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 11:49:20PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:

> Personally, I don't use Sawfish.  I use FVWM -- it's light, fast, and very
> customizable in terms of controls.  Its memory footprint is less than 4MB
> even with several FVWM apps running.  Unfortunately it doesn't look very
> good so it doesn't do justice to how good Linux can look :)  But I've
> heard good things about Sawfish, and it looks pretty decent, too.  I think
> bill! <sic> uses or used it quite extensively.

I used Sawfish when I ran Gnome at Worldcom.  It looked nice (lots of
pretty themes), seemed fast, and had great support for keyboard bindings.
(Better than I've found KDE 3 to be.)

I could move, minimize, shade, etc. windows, all with whatever keys I liked.
(Usually over on that wierd cluster of numbers on the keyboard that I don't
ever seem to have use for; except to switch X11 resolution ;^) )

I'm using KDE exclusively on my desktop at home (well, except X-Chat, GAIM
and Gimp), but Melissa's using GNOME with Sawfish, and setting herself up
with themes, and so forth...  It's all from the core Debian Woody repositories.