[vox-tech] Kernel Compilation - RPM Installation

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 08:34:09 -0700

karthikeyan.balasubramanian wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>It's not too clear what you are asking.  If you download and
>>install/upgrade a RedHat rpm-packaged kernel, the kernel installs and
>>automatically edits your boot loader (on Redhat systems anyway).  No
>>compilation is necessary.  Older kernels are not removed and remain as
>>boot options in your boot loader.
>>
>>You can also get an rpm of Redhat's kernel source, which is just a
>>super-hacked version of whatever kernel version it is.  This you can
>>further configure and compile yourself.  Due to the hacks, I have found
>>that many custom configurations do not work with their kernel source,
>>and you are better off using the mainstream kernel releases.
>>
>>Jonathan
>>

> You got my question absolutely right :).  Sorry if i was not bit clear.
>
> I could have just asked this question :
>
> <question>
> Anybody successful with rpm version of kernel installation?
> </question>
>
> Cause i didnt :(.
>
> Like pete told (2.4.2) version of kernel (rpm version) didnt work good for
> me.
>
> I was just wondering if i can get hold of 2.5 version of kernal and give it
> a shot,

Are you using a Red Hat distribution?  Then you should definitely try
their latest rpm-kernel, which for RH9 is a version of 2.4.20 (so-called
2.4.20-18.9).  Anyway, it seems to work on many typical desktops that do
not have particularly special hardware.  It does not have acpi support,
which is why I compiled my own patched 2.4.20 kernel for my laptop. If
you want 2.5, you'll have to compile that entirely on your own.  By the
way, I have found it useful to take the kernel config file from the
redhat kernel rpms as a starting point for my kernel configuration.

Jonathan