[vox-tech] NFS mount "RPC: Timed out" error

Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:38:55 -0700

On Mon 14 Jul 03,  4:34 PM, Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> said:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 03:06:46PM -0700, Ken Herron wrote:
> >
> > Err, isn't hosts.allow the TCP wrappers config file? NFS usually runs
> > over udp in a lan environment; I don't see how TCP wrappers could be
> > involved.
>
> I was just following the HOWTO :^)
>

> <snip>
> > It'd be helpful to to know exactly what rpc program/version the client is
> > trying to invoke when it times out. Could you snoop the network during a
> > mount attempt? If it's trying to talk to nfsd, then the question is why
> > nfsd is ignoring the client. If the client is trying to talk to lockd,
> > then the question is why lockd isn't running.
>
> I've never 'snooped' a network before. ;^)  Any good HOWTO pointers?

here's how to be snoopy:

tcpdump -i eth0
tcpdump -i eth0 udp
tcpdump -i eth0 tcp
tcpdump -i eth0 tcp port 119
tcpdump -i eth0 udp port 119

you can get port numbers from /etc/services or google.

i think i got all this right.  when you look at man tcpdump, you realize
that it's an incredibly complicated tool...

pete