[vox-tech] NFS mount "RPC: Timed out" error

Ken Herron vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:06:46 -0700

--On Monday, July 14, 2003 13:35:20 -0700 Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
wrote:

>> Shouldn't nfsd be in there?
>
> *shrug*  Sure?!  Why not? ;)  Like I said, it worked previously, and I
> know I didn't mess with hosts.allow between the time it /was/ working
> and now, but I'll try it anyway...

Err, isn't hosts.allow the TCP wrappers config file? NFS usually runs
over udp in a lan environment; I don't see how TCP wrappers could be
involved.

> For the host in question, I get back:
>
>    program vers proto   port
>     100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
>     100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
>     100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
>     100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
>     100005    1   udp    630  mountd
>     100005    2   udp    630  mountd
>     100005    1   tcp    633  mountd
>     100005    2   tcp    633  mountd

Hmm, you should have entries for lockd and statd (I think) in there. The
timeout could be from the client trying to contact lockd on the server,
but I don't know if that happens at mount time.

It'd be helpful to to know exactly what rpc program/version the client is
trying to invoke when it times out. Could you snoop the network during a
mount attempt? If it's trying to talk to nfsd, then the question is why
nfsd is ignoring the client. If the client is trying to talk to lockd,
then the question is why lockd isn't running.

> Before I go much further... is there any chance at all that this could
> be a kernel issue on mountING system?  (The one trying to make the NFS
> connection to the mountED server)

Shrug, anything's possible. It'd be nice to know exactly what is failing
before leaping for the kernel, though.

--
Kenneth Herron  Kherron@newsguy.com     916-366-7338