[vox-tech] RE: ATA/100 Controllers on Linux?

Michael Dunham vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:45:01 -0700

Ryan said-------------------------
Mike, try installing with a small (20 oe 30 megs or so is what I use)
partition at the begining of the drive, and place /boot there. Your kernel
may be able to address the whole drive without any problems. A quick way to
tell if this will work is to try a boot disk (CD or floppy) and see if it
can
access the whole drive.

Actually, because the BIOS will not recognize the cylinder configuration, it
will not boot from that drive.  The bios brings the machine to a full stop
when it tries to load the disk - no disk error, just a hard freeze.  That is
why I am interested in these boards because they can be used as an alternate
boot.  The only thing I don't know is if they will be properly read after
the boot without a Linux specific driver.

Mike

And so on...