[vox-tech] ATA/100 Controllers on Linux?

Ryan Castellucci vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:09:56 -0700

On Monday 14 July 2003 07:42 am, Michael Dunham wrote:
> I am reviving an old Pentium II machine to use as my desktop at home.  =
> got an old copy of Mandrake up on it and I am making good headway getti=
ng
> the hardware organized into something that I can then upgrade to either=
> more current version of Linux or FreeBSD.  My current problem is the BI=
OS
> doesn't read larger hard drives.  I have a 13gb that would work fine as=
 the
> root disk but for now I am restricted to the original disk at 1.9gb whi=
ch
> is just plain too small.
>
> I tried upgrading the BIOS but it is an ASUS and they haven't issued an=
> upgrades for this board since 1998. The upgrade they have didn't addres=
> drive sizes. Ugh.  There is a 2 channel ATA/100 board from Startech
> (http://www.startech.com/ststore/itemdetail.cfm?ProductID=3DPCI2IDE100&=
topbar
>=3D topbario.htm) that some of the online outlets list as a "Linux compa=
tible"
> (Startech doesn't mention it) but I haven't been able to find any evide=
nce
> that anyone has actually used one for a Linux installation.  My concern=
 is
> that some boards require drivers and they are only available for Windoz=
> generally ;-(
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this or other add-on controller bo=
ards
> on a Linux installation as a workaround for larger disks?  It seems lik=
e it
> should be a normal thing to do...

Mike, try installing with a small (20 oe 30 megs or so is what I use)=20
partition at the begining of the drive, and place /boot there. Your kerne=
l=20
may be able to address the whole drive without any problems. A quick way =
to=20
tell if this will work is to try a boot disk (CD or floppy) and see if it=
 can=20
access the whole drive.

- --=20
On pgp.mit.edu, import with `gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key 72177=
BC7`