[vox-tech] compiling tutorial

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 08 Jul 2003 15:59:42 -0700

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

>>After a short peruse, it looks good.  I would recommend making a pdf as
>>well as a ps.  For us folks coming from the land of the GUI (which I
>>assume includes these high schoolers), we like to use Acrobat Reader.
>>Use a good dvi->pdf translator, such as dvipdfm.  I like pdf's because
>>the text is searchable and can be copy-pasted.
>>
>>Jonathan
>

> good suggestion.  the students are going to be viewing this from my
> teaching webpage -- it's where i dump all my teaching assistant stuff:
>
> http://www.dirac.org/p/teaching/
>
> there's a link to "compiling programs" that has postscript and pdf
> versions, along with the tex source plus a makefile.
>
> btw, you'll get better results generating pdf from latex using
> "pdflatex".  i used to use ps2pdf, but i've always been able to tell
> there's a loss in quality.
>
> pdflatex is simply wonderful, and you can important all sorts of graphic
> file formats which would be an utter nightmare to use in normal latex.
> much nicer than vanilla latex (norm matloff introduced me to the wonders
> of pdflatex).
>
> pete

I tried (briefly) using pdflatex awhile back and didn't like it for
primarily procedural reasons.  I tex in Emacs and use the pulldown menu
to compile a dvi.  I then look at the dvi with Kdvi, which autoupdates
if already open.  When it all looks right, _then_ I make a top quality
pdf with dvipdfm, which can be run through Kdvi's menus.

Anyway, pdflatex skips the dvi step, so I can't quickly see what my
output looks like.  Also, I use primarily eps graphics, which pdflatex
does not support.  I do know it supports many other graphics, but with
cryptic syntax.

Probably should switch the topic if we continue...

I do like your compilation howto.  I just tried out the optimization
flag; something I wasn't even aware of!

Jonathan