[vox-tech] Linux email server

Rick Moen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:57:06 -0800

Quoting Ehrhart, Jay (ehrhart@ycoe.org):

> I am in the "looking for" stage of looking for the best (the best fit
> for my needs) mail server.  Qmail has been talked about.

> I work for Yolo county schools and I need a mail server that can handle
> about 400 accounts.
>
> Requirements:
> It needs to run on Red Hat Linux
> Free is a big plus
> Relatively easy to install, configure and maintain
> Support MAPI and POP3
          ^^^^
          IMAP

Rod's suggestions of Postfix and Courier IMAP are quite sound.  Postfix
is a Mail Transport Agent (program that sends and receives mail with
other SMTP servers elsewhere), when Courier IMAP (imapd) / Courier POP3
(pop3d, pop3d-ssl) are Mail Delivery Agents (programs that offload
arriving mail from MTAs and put them somewhere).

I have rundowns of MTA options here:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/mtas

(MAPI is a set of Microsoft protocols for handling mail, and is not what
you intend.  Those protocols are proprietary, but documented.  They
should not be confused with the MS Exchange RPC transport protocols,
which are both proprietary and regarded by Microsoft as a trade secret.)

--
Cheers,                                      "Reality is not optional."
Rick Moen                                             -- Thomas Sowell