[vox-tech] newbie annoyed with tin

Bill Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 20:09:05 -0800

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 08:04:25PM -0800, Katie wrote:

> #!bin/bash
> echo qy | lynx "https://secureweb.ucdavis.edu:443/cgi-auth/sendback?";
> "http://email.ucdavis.edu/news/news-succeed.html";
> -force_secure -accept_all_cookies -auth="login:password" > /dev/null
>
> That's what's in my first attempt at a shell script.  Did I make a boo-boo
> somewhere?

Oops - Yes, indeed.  The ";"s tell the shell that the next thing is another
command.  Kind of like:

  clear ; ls

... will first clear your terminal screen, and then show you a directory
listing...

What I think you want are "\" (back-slashes), which tell the shell
'the stuff on the following line should be considered to be part of this
one single command (or set of commands)'.

e.g., a "\" at the end of a line pretty much nullifies the RETURN-carriage
("end of line" character) that comes after it.

So you can do something like:

  ls \
  -l

and it's the same as:

  ls -l

:^)

<snip>
> PS - I removed my login stuff, just like you told me to Bill.  I'm a good
> girl.  I listen. :-)

Hehe :)

Let us know if that works for you!

-bill!