[vox-tech] newbie annoyed with tin

Samuel Merritt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 19:33:11 -0800

--at6+YcpfzWZg/htY

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 06:50:44PM -0800, Katie wrote:
> Maybe I should replace "newbie" with "completely pathetic and clueless"?

Nah. After all, you are trying to learn instead of giving up.=20
=20
> I don't have an /etc/news/server file.  I tried to create one, but it
> didn't work.  Most likely I did it wrong.  How would I create
> /etc/news/server?

When you're asking questions like this, it's good to include exactly
what you tried to do, as well as any error messages that come up.=20

I'm going to guess that you're trying to do this as user "katie" but
getting a permissions error.=20

What to do is:=20
1) Become root. (in a terminal, run "su" and then feed it your password)
2) Using your favorite text editor, open /etc/news/server. (e.g. "pico
/etc/news/server")
3) Put in the appropriate text (as described by Bill Kendrick,
below).=20
4) Save the file and exit.=20

The reason you can't do this as user "katie" is that the directory
/etc/news is owned by user "root", and so (simplifying a little) nobody
but root can create new files in /etc/news.=20

> I don't know how to set anything in my login script. :-(
>
> My user name is katie.  I don't know how to find ~katie/.bashr.  When I
> put it at the command line I got /home/katie/.bashrc not a directory.=20

Using your favorite text editor, open ".bashrc".=20

To set the environment variable VARIABLENAME, put in the line
export VARIABLENAME=3Dvalue

Note that this won't take effect immediately; bash only reads ~/.bashrc
when it first starts, so any terminals open before you edited ~/.bashrc
won't see this change. Open a new terminal and test it.=20

You can test it by running "echo $VARIABLENAME"; if you get a blank
line, it didn't work. If you see VARIABLENAME's value, it worked.=20