[vox-tech] Linux networking question

Marc Hasbrouck vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:58:01 -0800 (PST)

What version of Linux are you using?

For a generalized look at firewalling, look around for
the O'Reilly book Building Internet Firewalls, 2nd Ed.
It gives a non OS specific discussion of firewalling
and ports. Also, go to netfilter.org (the iptables
folks).

If you have your DHCP server and clients set up right,
local traffic should stay local. At least it does here
on my systems.

An example of the kind of addressing I use:

Local network:
IP adddresses: 192.168.100.1 through 192.168.100.254
Net Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.100.1

When I reference an address out side of the above
range, the packet is routed to the gateway (in this
case, 192.168.100.1). Otherwise, the packet should
never cross the gateway.

Marc