[vox-tech] Linux networking question

Michael J Wenk vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 15:47:51 -0800

--Boundary_(ID_V6ZknP/15M9dVKGcjRn5og)

I have a question that has cropped up recently.  I have a gamesystem =
with an ethernet card in it.  My old setup had everything going thru my =
linux system to the internet.  The linux box has a DHCP and caching DNS =
server running and it all seemed to work great.  I have had this setup =
since December of 2000 and have had to make little modifications to it.  =
Unfortunately, my PS2(the above game system) does not seem to like this =
very much.  The issue is unfortunately port forwarding.  To fix this(on =
a temporary basis) I used the router portion of my hub(its a linksys =
cable/DSL router that I bought a few years back on the hopes that it =
would work better or at least as well as the linux in routing, and save =
me a few bucks on power.  Unfortunately back then, it failed miserably.  =
However, recently with my current problems, I was reading that the thing =
is upgradable by firmware.  I did that and it works better.  Rather than =
fail after a few hrs of operation, it lasted about a week before =
requiring powercycling.  My problem is more software and comes from the =
fact that game makers for PS2 don't seem very communicative about what =
ports need to be opened in their software for stuff to function =
properly.  The linksys router supports a DMZ host which throws the PS2 =
system on the network unprotected.  My question is, is there a way to do =
this in software in the linux box?  I know I could probably get 1 more =
hub, and put the exterior connections(the PS2 and the linux box) on it =
and get another IP from comcast.  I don't want to do this for my whole =
network, and it comes from the fact that I never could convince my =
systems that they didn't need to go to the internet for local file =
xfers(which I do a lot.)  So, does anyone have any idea how to simulate =
the DMZ portion of the linksys router under linux?  Im running a 2.4 =
kernel(2.4.19 to be exact.)  Oh, and I'm looking for something a bit =
cleaner than just forwarding every port to the PS2. =20

Mike

--Boundary_(ID_V6ZknP/15M9dVKGcjRn5og)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have a question that has cropped up
recently.&nbsp; I have a gamesystem with an ethernet card in it.&nbsp; My old
setup had everything going thru my linux system to the internet.&nbsp; The linux
box has a DHCP and caching DNS server running and it all seemed to work
great.&nbsp; I have had this setup since&nbsp;December of 2000 and have had to
make little modifications to it.&nbsp; Unfortunately, my PS2(the above game
system) does not seem to like this very much.&nbsp; The issue is unfortunately
port forwarding.&nbsp; To fix this(on a temporary basis) I used the router
portion of my hub(its a linksys cable/DSL router that I bought a few
years&nbsp;back on the hopes that it would work better or at least as well as
the linux in routing, and save me a few bucks on power.&nbsp; Unfortunately back
then, it failed miserably.&nbsp; However, recently with my current problems, I
was reading that the thing is upgradable by firmware.&nbsp; I did that&nbsp;and
it works better.&nbsp; Rather than fail after a&nbsp;few hrs of operation, it
lasted about a week before requiring powercycling.&nbsp; My problem is more
software and comes from the fact that game makers for PS2 don't seem very
communicative about what ports need to be opened in their software for stuff to
function properly.&nbsp; The linksys router supports a DMZ host which throws the
PS2 system on the network unprotected.&nbsp; My question is, is there a way to
do this in software in the linux box?&nbsp; I know I could probably get 1 more
hub, and put the exterior connections(the PS2 and the linux box) on it and get
another IP from comcast.&nbsp; I don't want to do this for my whole network, and
it comes from the fact that I never could convince my systems that they didn't
need to go to the internet for local file xfers(which I do a lot.)&nbsp; So,
does anyone have any idea how to simulate the DMZ portion of the linksys router
under linux?&nbsp; Im running a 2.4 kernel(2.4.19 to be exact.)&nbsp; Oh, and
I'm looking for something a bit cleaner than just forwarding every port to the
PS2.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Mike</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_V6ZknP/15M9dVKGcjRn5og)--