[vox-tech] Re: troubleshooting internet connection

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 01:50:20 -0500

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 08:03:13PM -0800, Robin Snyder wrote:
> > > I came back from the Installfest very happy to finally have X running
> > > (thanks, Mike!) but now have no internet connection.  I'm sure it's
> > > something stupid, but I can't figure out what.
[...]
> > > My setup: I'm on a fixed IP address, using a DSL line.  I have two
> > > ethernet cards.

Robin,

  It would be very helpful if you could get output from some commands
into a email like has been requested a before... I would recommend
trying to use a floppy disk to transfer the text file to a machine
that can use the network or to save the text on vfat filesystem and
boot 'evil' to transfer it somewhere.

  From what I remember seeing done to your computer nothing _should_
have changed it's network behavior... except possibly when a dhcp
client was installed.
  On debian the network configuration is mainly stored in
/etc/network/interfaces, which has a man page "man interfaces".
I recommend just checking there for a second.

  Besides the X server, possibly dhcp client, apt-get dist-upgrade...
are there any other things you remember being done to your machine?

this is a list of the commands I would like to see run on that machine:
====
uname -a
route -n
ipchains -L -n