[vox-tech] Re: vox-tech digest, Vol 1 #577 - 11 msgs

Robin Snyder vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:17:49 -0800 (PST)

> > I came back from the Installfest very happy to finally have X running
> > (thanks, Mike!) but now have no internet connection.  I'm sure it's
> > something stupid, but I can't figure out what.
> >
> > My setup: I'm on a fixed IP address, using a DSL line.  I have two
> > ethernet cards.
> >
> > What I've checked so far: I'm pretty sure I'm plugged into the correct
> > ethernet card.  I know the DSL box works, because I can use my housemate's
> > computer to get to the net.  The ethernet cable should be fine because it
> > was working at the Installfest.  There's nothing amiss that I can see in
> > either dmesg or /var/log/syslog.  netstat -rn gives me the correct IP
> > address but Gateway is listed simply as 0.0.0.0.  However, that strikes me
> > more as symptom than cause.  What other probes can I use to figure out
> > what's gone wrong?
>
> hi robin,
>
> try:
>
>    ping 66.218.71.198

That works. (!) (What is that address for?  Is it something internal,
somehow?)

> post output of:
>
>    ifconfig

Can't post the output (no way to get the output to this computer), but
the output looks normal: it gives the correct IP address, etc.
Anything in particular I should look for?

> make sure this command doesn't "hang":
>
>    route

It doesn't hang.  It does have a gateway entry for "default," although
for destination 168.150.243.0, gateway just has a * ... but I think
that IP is the gateway IP, so perhaps that's OK.

> Try running
> /sbin/ifup eth0
>
> (assuming eth0 is your DSL ethernet card)

ifup assures me that interface eth0 is already configured.  However, I
can't ping remote machines, or at least not machines on campus.

			- robin.