[vox-tech] Recovering Debian without /var/lib/dpkg...

Karsten M. Self vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 04:17:08 +0000

on Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 07:54:00PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org) wrote:
> begin Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
> > on Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:30:28AM -0800, R. Douglas Barbieri (doug@dooglio.net) wrote:
> > > Here is a good article about recovering a Debian system without having a
> > > backup of /var/lib/dpkg...
> > >
> > > http://www.linuxworld.com/2003/0113.petreley.html
> >
> > Funny, I walked someone through that on irc.debian.org:#debian last
> > week.  This can be somewhat simplified from Nick's procedure.  Rather
> > than manually re-selecting packages in dselect, you would take advantage
> > of the fact that Debian policy requires all packages to create an entry
> > in /usr/share/doc, with the name of the package.
> >
> > Procedure (in handy shell-script format).  Note that I *haven't* tried
> > this (suggestion:  someone with a faster box than I should try
> > installing Debian under UML and self-inflicting damage, then recovering,
> > and telling me what I got wrong).
>
> if anyone with a little time is curious enough, i'll lend you a 60GB
> hard drive to do the test, and if successful, demonstrate it as a short
> demo at an upcoming lugod meeting.

The disk is far less an issue for me than the bandwidth.

I'm content knowing that the procedure's now archived on the Net, I'll
post to d-u as well to see if we might get some feedack there.

Peaace.