[vox-tech] troubleshooting internet connection

Robin Snyder vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 13:35:14 -0800 (PST)

I came back from the Installfest very happy to finally have X running
(thanks, Mike!) but now have no internet connection.  I'm sure it's
something stupid, but I can't figure out what.

My setup: I'm on a fixed IP address, using a DSL line.  I have two
ethernet cards.

What I've checked so far: I'm pretty sure I'm plugged into the correct
ethernet card.  I know the DSL box works, because I can use my housemate's
computer to get to the net.  The ethernet cable should be fine because it
was working at the Installfest.  There's nothing amiss that I can see in
either dmesg or /var/log/syslog.  netstat -rn gives me the correct IP
address but Gateway is listed simply as 0.0.0.0.  However, that strikes me
more as symptom than cause.  What other probes can I use to figure out
what's gone wrong?

			- robin.