[vox-tech] Question regarding network bandwidth...

R. Douglas Barbieri vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:53:48 -0800 (PST)

I have a question that I need to ask in terms of an analogy, since true
network tweaking is still something of a mystery to me (okay, okay, it
betrays my ignorance in these matters...:-) ).

When dealing with processor usage, you can "renice" a process and make it
have a lower priority so it doesn't hog the CPU, and your system will
"chunk" less. So is there a way to do something like this with a network
connection?

Since I have ADSL, it sucks whenever I want to upload a big file and my
Internet connection is knocked to its knees. It would be great to be able
to say "this outgoing tcp connection to foo.com gets only 1% of the
bandwidth" or something like that. Am I making any sense?

--
R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net

GPG Public key : http://www.dooglio.net/dooglio.gpg