[vox-tech] exim install help

Samuel Merritt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:00:06 -0800

--2hMgfIw2X+zgXrFs

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 12:18:36PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> ryan,
>=20
> have you tried to google for any of the questions you've been asking?
> google seems to know the answer to this question.  in fact, i felt kind
> of lucky today.  hint hint.
>=20
> google is your friend.  :)
>=20
> also, have you read the docs?   i could certainly be wrong, but i'm
> having trouble believing that software like exim or postfix wouldn't
> list dependent libraries in their documentation or autoconf files.

Also, most RPM-based distributions split libraries into two packages:
the binary libraries, and the header files needed to compile programs
using the libraries.=20

For example, on my system, I have libdb-1.85 installed. So, any binary
RPMs that require libdb are happy. However, I don't have
libdb-devel-1.85 installed, so anything I'm compiling that wants libdb
can't find the necessary header files to use it.=20

So, if exim can't find a library that you know you have installed, make
sure the -devel RPM is also installed (presuming you use an RPM-based
distribution).=20
=20