[vox-tech] Error Message From "find"

Jim Angstadt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:33:08 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

Sometimes "find" will work; other times not.
Below is a script where "find" runs good, I cd to a
subordinate dir, run the same find command, and get an
error message.  This is repeatable on my Red Hat 7.2
system.

If I were using relative addressing, then sure, it
should be a problem.  But I'm not, am I?

The output is just as script produces, except I have
added several blank lines for readability.

Thanks,
Jim

--------------- script output

Script started on Thu Jan 16 12:07:52 2003

]0;ja@localhost:~[ja@localhost ja]$ find
~/public_html/web/pages/fam/ -name *.php -print | wc
-l
    134

]0;ja@localhost:~[ja@localhost ja]$ cd
public_html/web/pages/fam/

]0;ja@localhost:~/public_html/web/pages/fam[ja@localhost
fam]$ cd public_html/web/pages/fam/[ja@localhost fam]$
find ~/public_html/web/pages/fam/ -name *.php -print |
wc -l
find: paths must precede expression
Usage: find [path...] [expression]
      0