[vox-tech] X4 and Intel 82810 graphics card

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 18:37:13 -0800

begin msimons@moria.simons-clan.com <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com>
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 06:16:35PM -0800, Robin Snyder wrote:
> > I have been unable to get X running on my machine with an Intel 82810
> > graphics card.  I'm running the woody version of Debian, with kernel
> > 2.4.18.  Below, I have an earlier posting to this list about the problem
> > if you want to see the details.  I'm wondering if I should just go out and
> > buy a different graphics card, one that's been around longer and that is
> > more easily accommodated by set-up programs.  Questions:  Do people think
> > this is the best approach?  (I'm at wit's end.)  If so, what should I buy,
> > and where's a good place to buy it?  If not, is this something that folks
> > at the installfest should be able to help me with?
>
> Robin,
>
>   I've seen plenty of i810 graphics cards work.  If I remember correctly
> there is a kernel module called agpart or something that needs to be
> loaded (which reserves system memory for the chipset which comes with none)
> to be able to use that card.  So I don't think buying another card is
> needed.
>
>   The installfest should be able to get that card working... I recommend
> taking it there this coming Sunday if you don't get the card working
> in the meantime.
>
>     TTFN,
>       Mike

robin,

there is an i810 howto.  i assume this is the graphics chipset you're
talking about.  look in /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/.  if it's not
there, you can "apt-get linux-doc" (i think) or go to tldp.org (for
sure).

pete