[vox-tech] An error message of some sort in X...

Karsten M. Self vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 10:29:01 +0000

on Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 08:27:02AM -0800, Richard S. Crawford (rscrawford@mossroot.com) wrote:
> X, or GNOME, or C, or some such thing.  I dunno.  All I know is that it
> happens on my RH8.0 computer whenever I start some (but not all)
> applications in GNOME (haven't tried KDE yet).
>
> When I try to launch any applications, I receive the following errors:

> Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
>
> Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers

> Some programs will be unable to start at all after these errors, some
> programs will start but just won't have a title set in the window's
> title bar.  Some programs launch perfectly.
>
> I've done some Googling and looked on Red Hat's Bugzilla and GNOME's
> Bugzilla, but haven't found anything that seems useful.
>
> What do these errors mean?  Is there some way I can fix them?

Richard, you don't mention your distro and/or version, which could be
significant.  I recall you mentioning Red Hat in the past -- you still
using that?

Locale is also strongly affected by libc.  This is something Debian
unstable users may have noted in the past few days, and will likely see
again.

Peace.