[vox-tech] Puzzling Hard Drive Behavior

Richard S. Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
11 Jan 2003 19:07:57 -0800

On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 18:48, Rod Roark wrote:
> On Saturday 11 January 2003 05:56 pm, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> > ... Linux is unable to mount the root filesystem as a r/w system,
> > and sets it as read-only....
>
> Are there any messages about this?  Or how do you know it's
> read-only?

While Linux is booting up, I watch the display of messages as they come
up on the screen (e.g., "Starting crontab  [  OK  ]", that sort of
thing).  One of the messages that comes up is:

Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode:  [ FAILED ]

It then tells me that many of the files that it wants to write cannot be
written, since the root filesystem is a read-only system.  When it gets
to "Starting system logger", the system hangs completely.

I'm looking in my system logs for evidence of this behavior, but finding
none.  I suspect that since it was unable to mount the root filesystem
in read/write mode, no log could be written.

I wish I had a video camera; I'd just tape it as it's doing its thing,
and throw the mpeg on line.  :)