[vox-tech] Fwd: Re: [vox] HTML Email Questions

Robert G. Scofield vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 11:52:51 -0800

Subject: Re: [vox] HTML Email Questions
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 11:21:29 -0800
From: Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com>
To: vox@lists.lugod.org

On Tuesday 07 January 2003 10:47 am, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> Here are some questions about sending email in HTML format.
>
> I have heard that there are security problems with email in HTML format.  I
> read that a sender of HTML email can implant a program on the receiver's
> computer that will allow the sender to read all of the email that the
> receiver sends out to others.  Is this true?
>
> Is this the main security concern with HTML email?

I don't think that's a concern for Linux users.  Probably
the main security concern for us is that HTML in email can
do things like fetching some URL from a web site which tells
the web site owner that we got their email, and what our IP
address is.

If on the other hand you use MS Lookout, may God have mercy.

> Now the way to tell if an email is in HTML format is if it has fancy fonts
> and colors and italics, etc., is this correct?

I see you use KMail... you can turn off "Prefer HTML email"
in the security settings (a good idea anyway, for the reason
noted above) and then you will see the raw HTML tags, if
any, in the message.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/