[vox-tech] smtp question - blocked ip

Steven Peck vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 10:21:34 -0800

ummm...email at work is MS Exchange and that works well enough protected =
by
an SMTP relay on the DMZ.

Existing Enterprise smtp relay entry point is also a Win32 solution that =
is a
cheap (cheap as in piece of crap) inflexible one at that.  A Linux =
solution
using Postfix or Sendmail has been proposed but is unlikely to be =
approved.
It is still under review at this point.  My existing SMTP relay is crap.

-sp

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Deppner [mailto:ted@psyber.com]
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 10:00 AM
To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] smtp question - blocked ip

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 09:49:24AM -0800, Steven Peck wrote:
> will prbably see a dramatic increase.  The sad part is, a lot of it is =
non
> existant email addresses.  SO not only is the spammer irratating me, =
he is
> ripping off his customer.

So install a bounce handler that rejects originating IP's into your
system.  Set it to have a bounce/delivered ratio low enough that they =
only
get 100 or so emails through per ip they abuse.

I've recently set something similar to this up and it's all but stopped
stupid spammers cold.

--=20
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/