[vox-tech] Segmentation Fault with RPM --rebuilddb

Richard Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
02 Jan 2003 17:30:27 -0800

I believe I've narrowed the problem down to some ugly Ximian packages
that are on my system (I love Evolution, but I am seriously questioning
my wisdom in putting the entire Ximian GNOME desktop onto my computer).

I communicated with a fellow at Ximian who suggests downgrading all of
my Ximian packages, being especially careful with glibc, and doing a
package-by-package upgrade of the RPM's on my system.

Grumble.

I wonder if it would be easier to zark my Linux installation as it is,
tarring up my home directory into my data partition, and reinstalling
RH8.0 from scratch?

Opinions?  Suggestions?  Advice?  Offers to come and do it for me
(newbie fear setting in -- I can handle most kernel panics and just
about everything else that comes up on my system pretty much on my own
now, thanks to the extraordinary patience of my brother-in-law and this
awesome LUG, but OS installs always intimidate the bejeebers out of me,
even when I'm just doing a Windows install)?

Richard

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford