[vox-tech] booting off an external hard drive

Corey A.Hines vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:41:46 -0800

Jennifer,

Your second idea is most likely the easiest. Redhat installer will see
an external drive. I have a USB 2.0 external drive and the installer
will allow me to install to that drive. However, due to BIOS support it
will not boot off a USB 2.0 drive. If you install the bootloader on the
internal hard drive that may be all you need to do. Or, you could make
the /boot partition on the internal hard drive and all other partitions
on the external and install the bootloader on the internal hard drive.
The only other thing you may need to do is use the initrd (initial
ramdisk) in your kernel config to load the USB driver. Otherwise it may
not know how to access the USB drive. This is the type of thing you
need to do to boot off a SCSI device under some configurations and
external USB devices use SCSI emulation so it may not be too difficult.
I hope this helps, I have never tried it myself but it seems very
doable. Let me know how things work.

-Corey A. Hines