[vox-tech] resizing harddrive

Mike Simons vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 22:28:03 -0500

  I recommend you setup a nice ext3 filesystem which fills the drive
and ship whatever files you want to your windows machines over the network.

    TTFN,
      Mike

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 06:59:37PM -0800, Ryan wrote:
> thanks a lot, i'm backing up all my files now. Would there be any disadvantage
> to formatting the drive as FAT? That way I can put it in one of my other
> computers that are windows.

  FAT16 filesystems can only go upto 2 Gig.
  FAT32 or VFAT filesystem should be able to go upto 128Gig.

http://linux.org.mt/article/filesystems#N400056
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q184006

  Now if you remember where this whole issue started you thought that
the BIOS was limited you're use of the hard drive... and it will if you
are using a operating system that relies on the BIOS to access the drive
or to get correct geometry.  I don't know how much of the BIOS the
various version of windows use... but you are playing with fire.

  I'm fairly certain that you could safely move the drive from machine
to machine and run Linux on it, without problems... but I've read that
different BIOSes map disk blocks to C/H/S format in different ways.
If you use an operating system that relies on that BIOS mapping and
one of your machines is different from the one you made the filesystem
on you will not be happy.