[vox-tech] resizing harddrive

Mike Simons vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 19:15:52 -0500

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 02:52:48PM -0800, ryan wrote:
> this but the drive is a 40GB slave that I'm using to
> store mpegs and such. All those commands worked and here is the output.

Very good... the output explained what's happening.

  It turns out that Linux has no problem accessing all of the
drive.

## Disk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 4865 cylinders
## Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
##
##    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
## /dev/hdb1             1      4111  33021576   83  Linux

  The problem is the partition that was made didn't use all of the
4865 cylinders that are available.  It only used the first 4111.

  If you can move all of your important data off the drive...
then umount the partition and do the following with a Linux fdisk
command:

fdisk /dev/hdb
=
1
1

=

which will
  d = Delete, 1 = partition 1.
  n = New, p = Primary partition, 1 = partition 1.
  return = start at the first cylinder, return = end at the last cylinder,
  w = write the partition.

once that is done:
===
mke2fs -j -b 4096 -i 16384 /dev/hdb1
===

  Should make a new ext3 filesystem on that partition.  with blocksize
4096 bytes per block, and a few fewer inodes since you are storing large
files on it.

  Then mount your partition again... it should be bigger.

  Run a "df" before and after those steps... if the partition isn't bigger
afterwards let me know and send the df output.

  If you can't move your files off the drive (not enough space), then
back them up somewhere, tell me what filesystem type you have on the
partition, and I'll suggest a way to resize the filesystem without recreation.

    Good Luck,
      Mike