[vox-tech] Skipping sound

Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:55:06 -0800

begin Samuel Merritt <spam@andcheese.org>
> Running twm, mpg123 in an xterm, and Mozilla with X niced to 0, the
> sound still skips when I scroll in Mozilla.
>
> The skipping even happens with "play" (wave file player), and this
> machine is grossly overpowered for just playing music and running X, so
> I doubt it's a CPU time issue.

kay.  wasn't sure what kind of machine it was.

> I'm actually running Mandrake 9.0 on the machine in question, and X
> started out niced to -10.

stupid question.  you looked at top while moving a window around?
did you see anything interesting?

also, is this a new symptom?  or has it always been happening and you
just now sent an email out about it?

> Also, I forgot to mention earlier that I've ruled out an IRQ conflict.
> Theoretically, since they're both PCI devices, the sound and video cards
> should be able to share an IRQ, but I moved the video card around to
> ensure that they're on different IRQs.

i don't think every video card uses irq.   some video cards get polled
by the CPU and fetch data by explicit read accesses to I/O memory.
voodoo 4/5, 1/2 and mach cards are like this.  don't know about matrox.
but you should be able to tell using lspci -vb.

odd.  i guess i'm most curious about the "is this something new or has
always been a problem" question.

pete