[vox-tech] apt for rpm... ignore dependencies?

Matt Holland vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:48:05 -0800

Hey all,

I've been playing around with apt for rpm, and finally starting to feel
like civilized package management just might be possible under Red Hat.
  However, I need to be able to circumvent some dependencies.  As things
are now, there are some dubious dependencies that are causing apt-get to
always fail, i.e., I get:

# apt-get --simulate install mysql
Reading Package Lists... Done
Collecting File Provides... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
   mplayer: Depends: lirc but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
specify a solution).

In my case, transcode requires mplayer requires lirc, but the
rpm-distributed lirc doesn't work properly (at least this was true when
I last checked).  I can install mplayer and lirc from source, but have
had problems with transcode, so the rpm was a very nice thing.  In any
case, I can't tell if there's a way to tell apt, "No, don't worry about
lirc, *I* know all will be well, so listen to me and do my bidding."
I've read all of the apt documentation I can find, and there doesn't
seem to be any way to do this.  Is there a solution to this problem
other than "rpm -e apt"?

Thanks,
Matt