[vox-tech] Debian bf2.4 base kernel (disable framebuffer, enable ide DMA)

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 13:38:25 -0500

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 05:21:40PM -0800, Troy Arnold wrote:
> However, if I have an instance of vmware running, multimode helps
> significantly:
>  Two tests both with vmware running, but idle. (avg of 5 runs)
>
> -m16
> Timing buffered disk reads:   = ~ 28.32 MB/sec
> -m0
> Timing buffered disk reads:  = ~ 23.07 MB/sec
>
> More important than numbers -- on a purely subjective level, -m16 helps
> "a lot" with system interactivity if I have the guest OS copy a bunch of
> mp3's.

 this is interesting.  I hadn't done interactive tests while comparing
the performance... if I could find some interactive performance test it
would be nice to compare the -m options again.