[vox-tech] X server help

Jennifer Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:42:21 -0800

> > OK I think I may be understanding something but don't know how to
fix
> > it.  modprobe can't locate my  module nvidia.o so it is not getting
> > installed.  I think the reason is that the file is being put in the
> > directory
> >
> > /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o
> >
> > but I am trying to run version 2.4.18-24.8.0 of the kernel.  I had
> > rpmbuild --rebuild when I was in this kernel and it still put the
file
> > in the other directory.  Can I just create a link (and how would I
do
> > that) to the nvidia.o file that I found or do I need to uninstall
the
> > rpm that is there now and rebuild it again and install again?
Thanks,

> Have you installed the kernel headers rpm for 2.4.18-24.8.0 ?
>
> Try that and rebuild.

I was able to get the kernel source installed for the version of the
kernel that I am using.  I checked lsmod and the nvidia module is now
installed.  However it says that the module is tainted.

Then when I try to startx I get

(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No drivers available

Fatal server error:
no screens found

And in the log file there is a line

(WW) Warning, couldn't open module nvidia

Thanks for all the help,

Jennifer