[vox-tech] SCSI woes

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 18:54:50 -0500

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 03:30:15PM -0800, Adrian Kalaveshi wrote:
> I've got a Promise Ultratrak RM8000 array up and running on a RedHat 6.2
> system with a 2.4 kernel.  I'm using the sym53c8xx driver.  In dmesg, I see
> lines like:
[...]
> sym53c1010-66-0-<5,*>: target did not report SYNC.
[...]
> This leads me to believe that the card is defaulting to asynchronous mode
> which is causing very slow read/write times for me.

  I agree from a quick scan it appears that the device is not supporting
synchronous mode...

> The SCSI BIOS seems to recognize the drives, as they all show up in the
> configuration dialog.

  Many SCSI bios's allow you to test or limit what sync rate the card will
talk to the device at...

- Does your SCSI card BIOS have that feature?
- What speed does it test out at, or what speed is it currently limited to?

  I would also consider double checking the cable you are using to attach
the device to your system is correct... make sure it's a LVD cable.

  I had trouble finding a manual online for this beast, but it might have
a menu option somewhere on the device that locks it into asynchronous mode...

> Can anyone offer any guidance?

  It appears to be a Promise problem... they appear to support Linux with this
device.  Tried their tech support yet?

Promise Tech Support U.S.A.
Phone: (408) 228-6402 (Ext.4)
Fax: (408) 228-6401