[vox-tech] X server help

Troy Arnold vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:25:21 -0800

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 12:34:41PM -0800, Jennifer Stickel wrote:

> > On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 09:03:10AM -0800, Jennifer Stickel wrote:
> > > If I use "nvidia" as the driver, it won't initialize my card.  The
> > > NVIDIA site say to call it "nv".  That seems to work for
> > > initializing the card.
> >
> > 'nv' is the nvidia driver that comes with the kernel. The packages
> > from nvidia.com install the "nvidia" driver.  I just double checked my
> > XF86Config (to make sure I'm not tripping) and this is correct.

> I checked (rpm -q) and I have the following installed
> NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191 NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191
>
> So then am I supposed to have "nv" or "nvidia" as the driver?

"nvidia"

> > Try this:
> >  ldd `which glxgears`

> That command didn't work for me.  I get the message
> ldd: ./which glxgears: No such file or directory

Those were backquotes `, not single quotes '
Use  ` (same key as the tilde ~, usually just to the left of
the "1" key)

backquotes capture the output from the enclosed command so you can use
that output as the argument to another command.

The long way of doing the same thing is:
$ which glxgears
output = "/path/to/glxgears" so:
$ ldd /path/to/glxgears

Hope this makes sense as backquotes are very useful.  I remember
saying, 'huh?' when I first heard of them.

> > You need to make sure that libGL and libGLcore.so.1 are pointing to
> the nvidia
> > drivers:
> >
> > $ ls -l /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
> > lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           \
> > 17 2003-01-30 21:26 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.1.0.4191
> > [troy@Saiph /etc/X11]
> > $ ls -l /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1
> > lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           \
> > 21 2003-01-30 21:26 /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 -> libGLcore.so.1.0.4191
> >
> They are the same as yours

good.

> > As was mentioned, you'll probably have better luck
> > using the src rpms' rather than the prebuilt ones.
> I used the src rpms for the kernel and the rpm for the GLX

Hmm.  You might try grabbing the src rpm for glx and --rebuild that as well.

<http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-4191/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.src.rpm>

If you have the 'wget' command, you can use it from the console to
retrieve the file.

-troy