[Fwd: [vox-tech] corrupted ext3 filesystem]

Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:43:34 -0800

hi jonathan,

i think people didn't respond because nobody really had an answer.  i
sure don't.  some ideas to be tossed around:

* have you googled for the problem of umount errors during shutdown?

* does anyone know if there are any issues with winxp causing problems
   for non-MS filesystems?

* perhaps the first thing to try would be to experiment mounting and
   umounting partitions on your own.  start by fscking all your
   partitions so you know you're starting with a clean slate.  start to
   experiment with umounting things like /home, /var (in single user
   mode), remounting root as read only.  stuff like that.   see if you
   can REPRODUCE the error.  if you can reproduce the error under
   controlled circumstances, that's a big step in solving the problem.

* you say that you occaisionally get umount errors but they fly across
   the screen too quickly to be wrote down.  personally, i've found that
   when that happens to me, a nice digital camera (turn the flash off)
   will help capture the messages.

pete

begin Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@netscape.net>