[vox-tech] cgi-bin in user home dirs

Jim Angstadt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:04:37 -0800 (PST)

--- Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> > From: Jim Angstadt <jimajima9@yahoo.com>
> > --- Tim Riley <timriley@timriley.net> wrote:
> > > Jim Angstadt wrote:
<snip>

> Tim wasn't quite sure what he was trying to do, and
> he said that. He
> gave you instructions to access
> http://localhost/cgi-ja/ as a cgi-bin
> directory. You are trying to access
> http://localhost/~ja/cgi-bin/

Hi Ken.

Yes, I clearly did not understand.  Fortunately, Tim
provided additional instructions and it is now
working.

> Now I'm also shooting in the dark here (I don't use
> Apache, but I looked
> through the documentation to see what the solution
> might be. I suggest
> you check out my suggestion in the documentation
> yourself.) but it looks
> like the solution is to say something along the
> lines of
>
> <Directory /home/*/cgi-bin/>
> 	Options ExecCGI
> </Directory>
<snip>

I've tried this approach, including variations such as
+ExecCGI and adding another line:
   AddHandler cgi-script  cgi pl

Absent a ScriptAlias directive, this approach did not
work for me.  With a ScriptAlias directive, it does
work, but has no additional functionality vs Tim's
original Directive block.

Reading the manual, it should work.  I plan to keep
playing with it.

Using the ScriptAlias directive is not a problem for
me, or for my friend.  We both have a very limited
number of users and a ScriptAlias line for each (or
most) is no problem.

Perhaps for an ISP, with many users, a separate
ScriptAlias line for each user or most users would be
an undesirable maintenance burden.  So, in that case,
it would be nice if the Directive block, by itself,
was sufficient.

Again, thanks to all who have contributed to this
topic.
---
Jim