[vox-tech] glibc and socket()

Nicole the Wonder Nerd vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:08:04 -0800

Up spake Jeff Newmiller on Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:11:24PM -0800:
> > A call to sockaddr_check() goes through OK, but a subsequent call to socket()
> > triggers a kernel panic.  Control never even gets to the first line of socket().
> You know this without recompiling glibc for debugging?  Or are you saying
> it doesn't get to sys_socket()?  The latter sounds an awful lot like
> header problems.

My experience is this: the kernel panics (complete with "aiee, killed interrupt handler"
message) before gdb has a chance to print out the first line of the glibc function socket().
I interpret this to mean that the kernel panics before control is transferred.  Is this view correct?

Based on your advice and the Linus post you linked to, I guess I have a new question
for you, Jeff: What, exactly, are the consequences of compiling glibc against the
wrong kernel headers?  Could it be causing a kernel panic?
And how can I tell which kernel headers glibc was compiled against?

Thanks a bunch!

--nicole twn

***
Visit www.nicolopolis.com ... digital nonsense for a weary world.