[vox-tech] Re: Computer/TV dilemma

Alex vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:36:42 -0800

A couple of easy solutions:

1. They now sell flat screen LCD Monitors with TV inputs and a remote or
you can add a viewsonic TV adapter that makes any monitor a TV with a
remote.

2.If you want to go the video card option, ATI all-in-wonder cards can
input coax, composite, S-vid and export S- vid, composite. They even
have a usb remote.
I will admit though I haven't treid to get the remote to work in Linux.
So I would suggest option 1.

-Alex Mandel

"My wife wants both a small TV and a computer in our kitchen.
I'm thinking, why not combine them?  Does anyone have
suggestions for good ways to do that?  For example would it
work out better to find a small HDTV that can double as a
monitor, or to use a normal monitor and add a TV tuner card
into the computer?

The computer part does not need to be much -- it would be a
"thin client" networked to a server in my office.  But I do
want at least 1024x768 resolution.

-- Rod"