[vox-tech] cgi-bin in user home dirs

Jim Angstadt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:14:35 -0800 (PST)

--- Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Jim Angstadt wrote:
> > --- Tim Riley <timriley@timriley.net> wrote:
> > <snip>

> into
> > > >

> > > This is expected. CGI scripts are not intended
> > > be called directly from the browser, instead
> they
> > > are executed from the HTML post operation
> > > located inside of a <FORM action="/cgi-ja/...">
> > > tag.
<snip>

Thanks, Jeff and Micah, for the clarification on
"callable from a browser", nomenclature, and security
issues.  Please be assured I will carefully work with
my friend on security and cgi-bin placement.

But I still want to get it working,
so here's where I am now:

/home/ja/cgi-bin  (perl cgi scripts go here)
/home/ja/public_html
/home/ja/public_html/fam  (the prinmary web site)
/home/ja/public_html/fun  (other fun stuff)

The httpd.conf file contains:

ScriptAlias  /cgi-ja/  "/home/ja/cgi-bin/"
<Directory "/home/ja/cgi-bin/">
    AllowOverride  None
    Options  None
    Order  allow,deny
    Allow  from all
</Directory>

httpd has been restarted.

http://localhost/~ja/cgi-ja/test.cgi is entered into
the browser location bar and "Not Found" is the
response.

> In this case, I think the directory Tim suggested
> you put in the
> configuration file didn't correspond with the
> directory you had specified
> in your emails... (missing the "public_html" part),
> so your failure to get
> that working may have been due to a typo.
<snip>

Yesterday I tried it both ways:
1. with cgi-bin under public_html and the appropriate
paths in httpd.conf
2. with cgi-bin under ja and appro. paths.
Neither worked.

Since then I have read, in a very old Apache msg, that
the cgi-bin should not go under public_html.  So, it
is under ja right now.

Today, I plan to recheck everything I did yesterday
and continue my Apache reading.  Any and all comments
will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All,
Jim