[vox-tech] X server help

Jeff DeFay vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:48:05 -0800

I have a RH8.0 machine with a graphics card using a newer NVIDIA chip
and also have had
problems with X with each kernel upgrade; the secret is that NVIDIA has
their own drivers.
I'm at the 2.4.18-24.8.0 kernel and had to use the
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.src.rpm  & NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.src.rpm driver
patches from NVIDIA to get things working properly.
They have pretty good instructions on their web site.   I've learned
that 'rpmbuild --rebuild' with the *.src.rpm files is a better method
than using the precompiled rpms.

Try the URL:    http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp  and
select the 'Linux IA32 Display Drivers ' link.

Regards,
Jeff DeFay
jfdefay@acm.org