[vox-tech] cgi-bin in user home dirs

Jim Angstadt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:09:07 -0800 (PST)

--- Tim Riley <timriley@timriley.net> wrote:

> Jim Angstadt wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm trying to allow user accounts to have their
> own
> > cgi-bin directory on a RH 7.2, apache box at my
> home.
> >
> > For testing, I have file test.cgi.
> > (See below for file and permissions.)
> >
> > When the file is placed in /var/www/cgi-bin it
> works.
> > Meaning, when I open a browser and key in
> >    http://localhost/cgi-bin/test.cgi
> > I see "Hello There".
> >
> > When placed in /home/ja/public_html/cgi-bin it
> does
> > not work.  When I key in
> >    http://localhost/~ja/cgi-bin/test.cgi
> > I have gotten either of two responses
> >    1. the script text
> >    2. an error msg: "Forbidden You don't have
> >    permission to access /~ja/cgi-bin/test.cgi
> >    on this server.
>
> I've never done this, but based upon the Apache
> configuration file syntax, this should be possible.
> Note: this might be close but not exact.
>
> Edit httpd.conf (mine's in /etc/httpd/conf)
> Got to the line that says: ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/
> "/var/www/cgi-bin/"
> Below it add a new line that says: ScriptAlias
> /cgi-ja/
> "/home/ja/cgi-bin/"

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the help.  I added both items to
httpd.conf and then restarted httpd.  Then I
keyed http://localhost/~ja/cgi-ja/test.cgi into
the browser location bar and got a "Not Found"
response.

Thinking the cgi-bin dir should be directly
under /home/ja, I moved it there, restarted
httpt, and got the same "Not Found" msg.

Then I changed the Options line of the new block
to read: Options none ExecCGI
and restarted httpd.  Nope.

Likewise for just: Options ExecCGI

It's gotta be something simple I'm missing.

---
Jim
(I'll stop shooting in the dark now.)