[vox-tech] Question about php settings and passing form data

Larry Ozeran vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 04 Feb 2003 22:55:28 -0800

At 06:06 PM 2/4/03 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I want to use a php redirector
>header('Location: http://website.nofun/redirect.....)
>and I want to pass to the page ref-ed in the URI a number of FORM variables.
>
>However, I am meeting with little luck on this.
>
>If I encode the variables as part of the URL with "&" as a separator, I
>dcan get the form data and variables that store them (names) to pass
>through to the page.

If I understand your statement correctly, you are able to do:
header('Location: http://website.nofun/redirect?Var1=$Var1&Var2=$Var2');
where Var1 and Var2 are your form variables

If not, sometimes non-alphanumeric characters can cause errors rectified by
either:
header('Location: http://website.nofun/redirect?Var1="$Var1"&Var2="$Var2"');
or
$URLVar1 = urlencode($Var1);  $URLVar2 = urlencode($Var2);
header('Location: http://website.nofun/redirect?Var1=$URLVar1&Var2=$URLVar2');

If this didn't help, maybe you could send the entire redirect commands you
have tried.

>However, use of
>$_SESSION["var_name"] = "var value";
>Does not pass the variable or data, and use of
>session_register('variable_name');
>is also proving fruitless. (I only used one or the other (_SESSION vs
>session_register()) not both.)
>
>I expect this should work, but cannot find mention of setting for
>controlling this. (I even tried avoiding the appearance int he URL by
>encoding a \r\nvarname:%20var%20value\r\n to fool the client into passing
>the URL with header data separate. No go.

Not clear what you are asking here. I hope Troy answered the question.

>Suggestions on what config settings should be examined within php to
>ensure that form data can be passed as it should, in the HTTP header with
>PHP 4.3.0?
>
>TIA
>-ME

ditto Troy's suggestion, phpinfo() should help.

-- Larry