[vox-tech] FW: Your Amazon.com Inquiry

Micah Cowan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 09:10:56 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C2CC2D.54513D00

Another example of Amazon.com intelligence...
------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C2CC2D.54513D00

From: <orders@amazon.com>
To: <micah.cowan@wevtec.com>
Subject: Your Amazon.com Inquiry
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 16:44:43 -0800

Dear Micah,

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

I am sorry you have encountered problems while using our web site.
>From our end, we have not had any server problems recently--it is
possible that the problem is with your provider, or somewhere in
between.

Many times, the issue can be traced to a large number of people trying
to use the internet, and Amazon.com, all at the same time.  If the
problem was caused by high network traffic, you should be able to
place your order simply by trying again at a different time.

In addition, there are a few basic troubleshooting steps that will
help to resolve about 80% of the problems that involve normal internet
and traffic related errors.  I hope that trying one of these basic
tips will help you complete your order:

1) Try reloading.  If the site is taking a long time, or if a page
loads halfway, or even if the page loads for a long, long time, often
simply clicking the "Stop" button at the top of your browser and then
clicking "Reload" or "Refresh" solves the problem.

2) Try clearing your cache.  Most web browsers temporarily store a
local copy of every page you visit on the web.  Clearing your cache
deletes all of those files and makes room for new ones.  Go to the
"Cache" or "Temporary Internet Files" option on your web browser (on
Netscape, go to "Options" and choose "Network Preferences"; if you
use Internet Explorer, go to "Tools" and choose "Internet Options"),
and delete the files stored in your cache.

3) Try our "Text Only" site (http://www.amazon.com/text).  If the page
hangs while loading, or takes far longer than it should, then visiting
our text-only site should clear up the problem.  It's faster because
it doesn't display any images.  In many cases, especially with slower
connections, the text-only site works wonders.

4) Try our Standard Server.  If you have trouble accessing the order
form, or if the order form causes an error on the final step, trying
the transaction over the Standard Server will allow the order to go
through.  (Naturally, you won't want to enter your full credit card
information on the Standard Server--simply enter the last five digits
on your card, then phone or fax us with the complete number.)

If none of these suggestions solves the problem, you may need to
upgrade your browser or contact your Internet service provider
directly for further assistance.

I hope that you are able to resolve this situation and place your
order.  We look forward to your next visit to our site.

Best regards,

James W.
Amazon.com... And You're Done
http://www.amazon.com
==============================
Check your order and more: http://www.amazon.com/your-account

>Date: Mon Feb 03 09:02:04 PST 2003
>Subject: RE: Your Amazon.com Inquiry
>To:   cust.service02@amazon.com
>From: micah.cowan@wevtec.com

>Trust me, it is certainly *not* a memory cache problem. It is very
assuredly
a server misconfiguration. Steps to fix the problem are outlined in my
original email, which may be found below.

Cached web pages have never been known to produce erroneous character
encoding information.

-Micah